Agenda and minutes
Venue: Committee Room 2 - Town House. View directions
Contact: Mark Masson on Email: email@example.com / tel 01224 522989 or
The agenda and reports associated with this meeting can be viewed here.
9 Belvidere Crescent - Formation of Dormer to Rear - Planning Ref:190339
With reference to article 2 of the minute of meeting of the Local Review Body (LRB) of Aberdeen City Council of 21 August 2019, the LRB conducted a site visit then reconvened at the Town House to review the decision taken by an appointed officer under the Council’s Scheme of Delegation to refuse the request for planning permission for the formation of a dormer to the rear of the property at 9 Belvidere Crescent, Aberdeen, Planning Reference 190339/DPP.
Councillor Boulton, as Chairperson, advised that the procedures previously outlined by the Clerk at the meeting of on 21 August 2019 would apply and indicated that the LRB would again be addressed by Mr Gavin Evans, who acted as Planning Adviser to the LRB in the case under consideration. The Chairperson reiterated that although the Planning Adviser was employed by the planning authority, he had not been involved in any way with the consideration or determination of the application under review and was present to provide factual information and guidance to the LRB only. She emphasised that the officer would not be asked to express any view on the proposed application.
Mr Evans then outlined the application site advising that the property was located on the west side of Belvidere Crescent, which itself joins Rosemount Place and Craigie Loanings. The site comprised an upper flat within a 2-storey detached granite building, the door for which was located down the side of the building. Number 9 extended to the first floor and attic.
The site was located within an area zoned as residential within the Aberdeen City Local Development Plan, where policy H1 applies and was also within the Rosemount & Westburn Conservation Area.
Mr Evans intimated that permission was previously granted in January 2015, prior to the adoption of the current Aberdeen Local Development Plan for the formation of a box dormer to the rear which appeared to be identical to the current proposal.
He explained that the Appointed Officer’s reasons for refusal which were stated in full in the decision notice, makes reference to the following factors:-
· Rear dormer did not accord with Householder Development Guide - Supplementary Guidance in that it is not architecturally compatible in design and scale with original house or surrounding area;
· Would not preserve or enhance the character and appearance of the Rosemount and Westburn Conservation Area;
· Masked and overwhelmed the original design concept, resulting in an unacceptable impact on visual appearance of the dwelling and wider area;
· Contrary to the aims of Scottish Planning Policy, Historic Environment Policy for Scotland and Historic Environment Scotland ‘Roofs’ guidance;
· Conflict with policy D4 of the Aberdeen Local Development Plan; and
· No material considerations that outweighed non-compliance with the development plan.
Mr Evans outlined the appellant’s case within the Notice of Review, along with a Statement both of which were included in the agenda pack for members’ consideration.
The applicants’ submission included the following points:-