Houses in Multiple Occupation - Overprovision - CHI/16/121
- Meeting of Communities, Housing and Infrastructure Committee, Tuesday, 24th January, 2017 2.00 pm (Item 7.)
- View the declarations of interest for item 7.
The Committee had before it a report by the Director of Communities, Housing and Infrastructure which sought determination on whether the Council should introduce a Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Overprovision Policy in the City.
The report recommended:-
That the Committee –
(a) note the information on the number and capacity of licensed HMOs in all 13 wards and the 37 neighbourhoods;
(b) note the general and limited assessment of the need for housing accommodation in the locality and the extent to which HMO accommodation is required to meet that need as is required to be undertaken in forming an HMO overprovision policy;
(c) does not progress a policy on HMO overprovision at this time; and
(d) note that the Council’s HMO online register is being enhanced to make it easier to access information about HMO licences and application.
The Committee resolved:-
(i) to note the high concentration of HMOs within the Froghall, Powis and Sunnybank and Old Aberdeen neighbourhoods;
(ii) to note the information provided towards meeting the requirement to complete assessment of the need for housing accommodation and the extent to which HMO accommodation is required to meet that in the city and including the Froghall, Powis, Garthdee, Sunnybank and Old Aberdeen neighbourhoods;
(iii) to instruct officers to consult on the draft HMO overprovision policy at appendix 13, this policy would apply in Froghall, Powis, Garthdee, Sunnybank and Old Aberdeen neighbourhoods. The overprovision threshold applies if there is a concentration of HMOs in any one particular Census Output Area within the Froghall, Powis, Garthdee, Sunnybank and Old Aberdeen neighbourhoods in excess of 10% of qualifying residential properties in that neighbourhood; and
(iv) to instruct officers to report back to Council in June 2017.
- HMO Overprovision Late Docquet, item 7. PDF 33 KB
- HMO Overprovison Report CHI.16.121, item 7. PDF 111 KB
- Appendix 1 - Private Rented Housing (Scotland) Act 2011, Section 131A, item 7. PDF 44 KB
- Appendix 2 - Scottish Govt Guidance, item 7. PDF 45 KB
- Appendix 3a - HMOs per Electoral Ward, item 7. PDF 48 KB
- Appendix 3b - No of HMOs Granted-Applied by Ward - No of Bedspaces, item 7. PDF 44 KB
- Appendix 4 - COA Density Citywide, item 7. PDF 40 KB
- Appendix 5 - %age HMOs per Neighbourhood, item 7. PDF 47 KB
- Appendix 6 - Froghall, Powis and Sunnybank HMO, item 7. PDF 371 KB
- Appendix 7 - Garthdee HMO, item 7. PDF 368 KB
- Appendix 8 - Hanover HMO, item 7. PDF 273 KB
- Appendix 9 - Old Aberdeen HMOs, item 7. PDF 338 KB
- Appendix 10 - ACC waiting list by letting area, item 7. PDF 38 KB
- Appendix 11 - Demand by Letting Areas linked to Neighbourhood, item 7. PDF 72 KB
- Appendix 12 - Higher Education Student Numbers, item 7. PDF 65 KB
- Appendix 13 - Houses in Multiple Occupation DRAFT policy, item 7. PDF 62 KB
- HMO Responses, item 7. PDF 1 MB
- HMO Overprovision 17.01.20 - Equality and Human Right Impact Assessment - Signed, item 7. PDF 359 KB