Aberdeen City Region Deal Joint Committee
Purpose of committee
Please note that the clerking of the City Region Deal Joint Committee is shared between Aberdeen City Council and Aberdeenshire Council.
The Agenda, reports and minutes of meetings held between May 2017 to April 2018 and May 2019 to May 2020 will be available on the Aberdeenshire Council website here
Terms of Reference operational from 1 April 2020.
The Aberdeen City Region Deal Joint Committee is a Joint Committee established by Aberdeen City Council and Aberdeenshire Council (the “Constituent Authorities”) under sections 56 and 57 of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973.
The creation of the Joint Committee represents the joint commitment of the Constituent Authorities and Opportunity North East (“ONE”) to support and oversee the implementation of the Aberdeen City Region Deal.
In particular it shall have the power to:
1. Approve Business Cases for City Region Deal projects and any other related documentation with the exception of those where approval is reserved to either or both of the Constituent Authorities.
2. Make recommendations to the Constituent Authorities and ONE in respect of projects within the City Region Deal Strategic and Policy plans.
3. Monitor the effectiveness of the implementation and the delivery of the City Region Deal and to report to the Constituent Authorities on progress.
4. Receive updates from the United Kingdom and Scottish Governments in connection with any aspect of the City Region Deal, projects relating to the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the United Kingdom and Scottish Governments and the Constituent Authorities or additional United Kingdom and Scottish Government investment and any related projects.
5. Approve (i) the overall programme funding for the City Region Deal; and (ii) the detailed breakdown and use of the Constituent Authorities’ financial contributions to the City Region Deal in relation to such overall programme funding for the City Region Deal where this relates to programme funding already committed and approved by the relevant Constituent Authority.
6. Approve operational expenditure within agreed Aberdeen City Region Deal Joint Committee budgets allocated by the Constituent Authorities and/or ONE in order to further the aims of the City Region Deal.
7. Provide feedback to the United Kingdom Government and Scottish Government on the implementation of the City Region Deal and any strategic, economic or infrastructure activities associated with the City Region Deal.
8. Appoint three representatives and three named substitutes of ONE to the membership of the Joint Committee.
These terms of reference will be kept under review by the Constituent Authorities, ONE and the Joint Committee throughout the implementation of the City Region Deal to ensure sufficient accountability of public funds provided through City Region Deal funding.
Executive Lead for the Council: Chief Officer – City Growth
- John Harper (Reserve)
- Councillor Jenny Laing (Chairperson) Aberdeen City Council
- Councillor Jim Gifford (Vice-Chairperson) Aberdeenshire Council
- Councillor Marie Boulton Aberdeen City Council
- Councillor Douglas Lumsden Aberdeen City Council
- Councillor Peter Argyle Aberdeenshire Council
- Councillor Richard Thomson Aberdeenshire Council
- Professor Stephen Logan ONE
- Mr Patrick Machray ONE
- Sir Ian Wood ONE
- Councillor Gordon Graham (Reserve) Aberdeen City Council
- Councillor Ian Yuill (Reserve) Aberdeen City Council
- Councillor John Cox (Reserve) Aberdeenshire Council
- Councillor Alison Evison (Reserve) Aberdeenshire Council
- Councillor Colin Pike (Reserve)
- Ms Jennifer Craw (Reserve) ONE
- Mark Masson (Clerk)
Support officer: Mark Masson, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 01224 522989.