City Growth and Resources Committee
Purpose of committee
Please note that online agendas are retained indefinitely
To view the Service Updates for this Committee, use this link
PURPOSE OF COMMITTEE
1. To approve and monitor appropriate short, medium and long term financial strategies and plans for the Council in light of available funding.
2. To approve the addition of new projects and associated budgets to the capital programme, to approve additional funding for existing projects and to approve procurement relating to the Capital Programme.
3. To review the in-year financial performance of the Council and its committees and to make appropriate recommendations where a forecast overspend is projected.
4. To oversee and take action to ensure adherence to the Council’s budgetary control system.
5. To approve and monitor an appropriate strategy for the Council’s estate, including plans for investment, disposal and maintenance.
6. To approve and monitor Council place based strategies to support the City’s plans for future economic growth.
7. On receipt of the annual re-assessment of the Council’s credit rating, to advise Council on appropriate financial strategies in order to preserve or improve the Council’s credit rating.
REMIT OF COMMITTEE
The Committee will:
1.1 approve changes to the Council’s resources including finance, staffing structures and property; and
1.2 monitor all Council budgets including the Transformation Fund, and in particular:
1.2.1 scrutinise function budget monitoring reports;
1.2.2 hold budget holders to account for the proper control of the budget which they are responsible;
1.2.3 take such action as necessary to ensure that the Council’s budget is always balanced;
1.2.4 approve changes to the budget including to vire between function budgets where this is in excess of the amount delegated to officers in the Financial Regulations and Powers Delegated to Officers;
1.2.5 review annual workplans and scrutinise and approve outline and full business cases for supporting new capital investments, ensuring that all appropriate consultation has been undertaken;
1.2.6 approve the allocation of additional funding to existing projects, both capital and revenue;
1.2.7 approve the addition of new projects to the Capital Programme;
1.2.8 approve procurement relating to the Capital Programme;
1.2.9 approve use of the Council’s General Reserve;
1.2.10 approve use of the Council’s Transformation Fund;
1.2.11 scrutinise the implementation of plans and monitor associated budgets; and
1.2.12 monitor the Code of Guidance on Funding External Bodies and Following the Public Pound and take such action as is required to ensure that the Council meets its duties.
2. City Growth and Place
The Committee will:
2.1 consider the annual report from the Economic Policy Panel set up to support the annual re-assessment of the Council’s credit rating;
2.2 determine the Council’s strategies for city growth and place planning except in relation to major infrastructural planning and the Local Development Plan; and
2.3 consider reports on key actions by the Council towards the delivery of the Regional Strategy and the Inward Investment Plan and take such appropriate action as it sees fit.
3. Property and Estates
The Committee will:
3.1 determine, review and monitor a Portfolio Management Strategy for the Council;
3.2 approve an Estate and Investment Strategy;
3.3 hear and determine requests for review under s86(10) of the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015 against the refusal by officers to approve community asset transfers; and
3.4 approve the acquisition and disposal of land and property.
JOINT WORKING WITH OTHER COMMITTEES
The Committee will maintain an awareness of key issues arising through the work of other committees of the Council, through lead officers, conveners and vice conveners working together, and attending other committees as observers.
1. the City Growth and Resources Committee and Strategic Commissioning Committee will cooperate to ensure that resources are allocated strategically to support outcomes.
2. the City Growth and Resources Committee and the Capital Programme Committee will cooperate in promoting city growth and place planning.
JOINT WORKING WITH NON COUNCIL BODIES
The Committee, through its lead officers, will regularly consider key issues arising through other external organisations, including:
• the Aberdeen City Region Deal Joint Committee
• Opportunity North East
• the Regional Advisory Board
• Aberdeen Inspired
• the Scottish Cities Alliance
• the Aberdeen Renewables Energy Group
• the Strategic Development Planning Authority
• EU Regional and Thematic Groups
• the World Energy Cities partnership
Executive Lead: Chief Officer – Finance
- Councillor Douglas Lumsden (Convener)
- Councillor Ross Grant (Vice Convener)
- Councillor Marie Boulton
- Councillor John Cooke
- Councillor Jackie Dunbar
- Councillor Jenny Laing
- Councillor Alex Nicoll
- Councillor Ian Yuill
- Councillor John Wheeler
- Mark Masson (Clerk)
Support officer: Mark Masson, email email@example.com, or telephone 01224 522989.