Education Operational Delivery Committee
Purpose of committee
Please note that online agendas are retained indefinitely
Terms of Reference operational from 1 April 2020
PURPOSE OF COMMITTEE
To advise on and discharge the Council’s functions as education authority as set out in the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 and all other relevant legislation and regulations where not otherwise delegated.
The committee will also:
· monitor the delivery of educational services undertaken as education authority and provided by Integrated Children’s and Family Services (with the exception of children’s social work services which will be monitored by the Operational Delivery Committee);
· make recommendations in respect of school property matters to the City Growth and Resources Committee;
· scrutinise performance; and
· agree changes such as school zoning arrangements (within set budgets), or make recommendations to another committee, for improvements to functions related to education in order to ensure best value and delivery of the Council’s agreed outcomes, commissioning intentions, service specifications and service standards.
REMIT OF COMMITTEE
1. Service Delivery and Performance
1.1 The Committee will, in respect of educational services (early years and schools) provided by Integrated Children’s and Family Services and the management of the school estate undertaken by the Corporate Landlord:-
1.1.1 oversee, and make decisions relating to service delivery;
1.1.2 approve options to improve/transform service delivery relative to the functions of the Council as education authority under the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 and all other relevant legislation and regulations;
1.1.3 scrutinise operational performance and service standards in line with the Performance Management Frameworks and consider recommendations for improvements where required;
1.1.4 receive the cluster risk registers relative to its remit and scrutinise to ensure assurance of the controls in place;
1.1.5 approve all policies and strategies relative to its remit; and
1.1.6 receive reports on school inspections and peer reviews in order to ensure best practice and note any resultant improvement actions arising from those inspections and reviews.
1.2 In undertaking the aspects at 1.1, the Committee will ensure that it is acting within the budget set by Council and is supporting the delivery of the Council’s agreed outcomes, commissioning intentions and service standards.
1.3 The Committee may make recommendations to the appropriate committee(s) or sub committees on areas affecting educational services where the authority to approve sits within the remit of another committee or sub committee.
The Committee’s membership will include seven persons with voting rights who are not members of the Council. The seven external members will be appointed by the Council at its statutory meeting (or other meeting as appropriate) as follows:-
1. three persons representing religious bodies in accordance with the requirements of Section 124 (4) of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973; and
2. in accordance with the discretion conferred by Section 124 (3) of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973:
2.1 two teachers employed in educational establishments managed by the Council nominated by the Teachers’ Consultative Forum, comprising one representative from primary, including nursery, and one representative from secondary; and
2.2 two parent representatives, selected by the Aberdeen City Parent Council Forum from within its own membership, comprising one representative from primary, including nursery, and one representative from secondary.
Executive Lead: Chief Operating Officer and the Director of Customer Services
- Councillor John Wheeler (Convener)
- Councillor M. Tauqeer Malik (Vice Convener)
- Councillor Alison Alphonse
- Councillor Philip Bell
- Councillor David Cameron
- Councillor Lesley Dunbar
- Councillor Martin Greig
- Councillor Michael Hutchison
- Councillor Claire Imrie
- Councillor Sandra Macdonald
- Councillor Neil MacGregor
- Councillor Jessica Mennie
- Councillor Jennifer Stewart
- Mrs Tracey Blackie Parent Representative - Primary / ASN
- Reverend Shuna Dicks Church of Scotland Religious Representative
- Mr John Murray Roman Catholic Religious Representative
- Mr Mike Paul Teacher Representative - Secondary Schools
- Mr Rick Sansom Parent Representative - Secondary / ASN
- Miss Pamela Scott Teacher Representative - Primary Schools
- Stephanie Dunsmuir (Clerk)
Support officer: Stephanie Dunsmuir, email email@example.com.